Suggestions Regarding the Disinfection of Fingerprint Scanners
Secure Outcomes understands that our customers are concerned about contagious diseases such as the SARS-CoV-2 (the virus that causes COVID-19) and the Flu.
Based on CDC guidance that common antibacterial hand sanitizers with at least a 60% Ethanol concentration, and/or a 0.5% aqueous Hydrogen Peroxide solution kills the SARS-CoV-2 and Flu viruses, we recommend the following procedures:
- Lightly mist the livescan device’s surfaces with a 3% Hydrogen Peroxide solution that can be purchased from any retailer.
a Bemcot wipe to remove the Hydrogen Peroxide from the livescan’s
- Only use approved disposable wipes like Bemcot. Unapproved paper products (napkins, tissues) will scratch the platen.
- Microfiber cloths should not be used due to contamination risks.
- Immediately throw the used Bemcot wipe in the trash.
- You may require a second Bemcot wipe to remove any filmy residue from the livescan platen. You may use Windex without Clorox to remove the filmy residue.
- Throw the used Bemcot wipe in the trash.
- Ask each customer to disinfect their hands using an Ethanol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% Ethanol. Additionally, this will help prevent contamination of the scan enhancer supply.
- Apply scan enhancer if required. Ethanol will remove skin oils.
- Repeat steps 1 – 7 for each customer.
- We have not clinically verified the efficacy of this sterilization procedure.
- Hydrogen Peroxide solutions must remain in factory containers which prevent light transmission.
- Throw away containers of Hydrogen Peroxide that have been opened greater than 30 – 45 days.